The Greater Washington region Safe Routes to School network has been busy in 2012. We just released our official platform and we have a full mid-year report. Hopefully, the examples of our work in the mid-year report will give you ideas of how we could work together in your community. A few highlights include:
- Joined the Prince George’s County Place Matters team focused on healthy eating and active living policy; the Fairfax Partnership for Healthier Fairfax Environment and Infrastructure Strategic Issue Team and the Prince George’s County Healthcare Action Coalition. All coalitions have a focus to increase physical activity through policies that support a safe environment for walking and bicycling.
- Compiled research and best practices for BikeArlington based on their Bike Culture meeting brainstorming focused on increasing the number of kids walking and bicycling to school.
- Responded to a questionnaire as part of the Prince George’s County General Plan Update. Information will be used for a policy paper on food access and healthy communities.
Still need ideas? Here are a few suggestions:
- Invite the Greater Washington network to present to your group about Safe Routes to School and policies that support walking and or bicycling presentation.
- Submit an idea for a case studies that focuses on a policy or program that supports Safe Routes to School, walking and or bicycling in the region. See our other examples.
- Use Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date on the latest information. Contact the regional policy manager to be added to the email list.
Please see our mid-year report for a a full list of the Greater Washington region network’s work in 2012 and opportunities for action right now. If you agree with our platform, please officially support the Greater Washington region network. Stay tuned for more to come!